Victorian Bitton Railway Station Sign
A little piece of Railway History, this superb Railway Station Sign originates from the Bitton Railway Station. This sign would have been placed on the platform to advertise the town of Bitton (South Gloucestershire). Made from wood with cast iron lettering, remains in original state, a very sturdy piece.
Bitton Railway Station opened 1869, the railway is part of the otherwise-dismantled Midland Railway Mangotsfield and Bath Branch Line, which was closed during the late 1960s as a result of the Beeching Axe and due mainly to the Great Western Railway being just a few miles to the south, which also connected Bristol and Bath.
The railway is perhaps best known for connecting the former Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway (S&DJR), whose northern terminus was at Bath Green Park station, with the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS). The Midland Railway lines along the Avon Valley thus opened up the S&D lines to travellers from the British Industrial Midlands. Bitton Station reopened 1972 as a Heritage Station. C1869
Dimensions: H: 26cn W: 89.5cm D: 5cm